top of page
  • Are there Boarding opportunities available at CVF?
    No we currently do not offer outside boarding. CVF is a private facility.
  • What is Warmblood Fragile Foal Syndrome?
    WFFS is caused by a single mutation in lysyl hydroxylase 1 (LH1) gene. Mutations in LH1 are known to cause a similar disorder in humans known as Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS). The skin defects resemble, but are much more severe than those seen in the Hereditary Equine Regional Dermal Asthenia (HERDA), which has a later onset of symptoms. Warmblood Fragile Foal Syndrome (WFFS) is an inherited systemic connective tissue disorder that is found in Warmblood horses. Skin lacks tensile strength (extreme skin fragility characterized by tearing, ulceration, etc. from contact with normal surroundings). Lesions can occur anywhere on the body but are most noted on pressure points and in addition to skin wounds, lesions are found on the gums and other oral cavity mucous membranes and the perineum. Limb joints are lax and hyperextensible. Fetlocks are the most dramatically affected and affected foals cannot stand normally. Other symptoms may include hydrops, subcutaneous emphysema, hematomas, or premature birth. Affected foals must be euthanized soon after birth.
  • What is Chateau Vista Farm's Approach to WFFS?
    CVF carries a very common sense approach to WFFS by testing all Warmblood breeding stock. For instance, if both the sire and dam are clear of the gene mutation which is typically viewed as N/N universally, then there is no chance of an offspring inheriting the mutation. However, if a carrier of the recessive allele, showcased as N/FFS, is bred to a normal horse, shown N/N , each foal has a 50% chance of having two copies of the normal allele (N/N) and a 50% chance of being a carrier (N/FFS). Consequently, iIf two carriers are bred, each foal has a 25% chance of having two copies of the normal allele (N/N), a 50% chance of being a carrier (N/FFS), and a 25% chance of being affected (FFS/FFS) shown with their respective combinations genetically. With this being said in conclusion, it is imperative for all breeders of Warmbloods to be testing their Warmblood breeding stock both broodmares and stallions for WFFS. This is to reduce risk and inhibit carrier to carrier breedings which are the only combination that can potentially result in the fatal disease being inherited genetically. Breeders must test their mares to know that each individual one is not a carrier and that their mare is clear of the mutation gene. Chateau Vista Farm tests all of their Warmblood breeding stock both mares and stallions for WFFS.
  • What can I expect when buying a foal from CVF?
    CVF handles on-site board for the foal until weaning. IgG and well foal check as well as deworming, farrier care by our on-site farrier, handling including haltering as well as registration are all included until the foal is weaned at the six month mark. Board and extra expenses apply after that point if the owner wishes for the foal to stay in the youngstock program under CVF care.
  • What are the terms when buying an In-Utero foal from CVF?
    We try to make things as straight forward and as clear as possible when selling our foals in-utero. Terms are 25% down to reserve the foal of your choice, with 25% due when the foal is 3 days old which means standing and nursing and with no medical problems, then 25% due when the foal reaches three months of age with the final balance due at weaning which occurs at the six month mark of the date of foaling.
  • Do you offer custom foal options?
    Yes, absolutely. Contact us as we would be glad to talk to you about your wishes. Each of our mares are available for custom foal options. We have done custom foals in the past with success for clients and it is a great way to personalize the breeding for the future owner and we highly recommend it. Custom foals come with special terms so be sure to contact us about it.
  • Does CVF handle outside mares, stallions, or breeding stock?"
    No, we do not. All of our breeding stock is sole-owned that resides on-site with us. All stallions whom we are in a partnership with currently are off-site at partnership locations. We do not offer breeding services for outside horses on location currently.
  • What is ICSI?
    Intracytoplasmic sperm injection is an in vitro fertilization procedure in which a single sperm cell is injected directly into the cytoplasm of an egg. This technique is used in order to prepare the gametes for the obtention of embryos that may be transferred to a maternal uterus of a recipient mare.
  • Does CVF utilize ICSI?
    Not on-site, CVF is not set up for ICSI though we do know some wonderful professionals who are fully equipped for it if you are pursuing the ICSI route with a custom foal option.

Chateau Vista Farm  F A Q's

To answer some of your questions...



"I am so blessed, I knew my new horse was the one the moment I saw him. When researching his background I realized, WOW, I have one amazing horse. Thank you Chateau Vista."

-Judy C. Thoroughly Satisfied Buyer

bottom of page